Thursday, June 30, 2005

fishing for music

Today's google cast unveiled Kempa.com: MP3's of the week: Musical 'mistakes' / scoldings has a bunch of outakes of some happy accidents that were left in during the mix. Of note is the archers of loaf when the drummer hits his noes. Funny stuff. These aren't the full tunes but was ok. You could make a whole set-list of this stuff. Which could prove to be very annoying. I do like listening to live bootlegs for this very reason though even more. I like that you can get a sense of bands live energy, recording translation and live crowd chemistry. A recent show I downloaded(because I was there) was a wrens show from last year at Maxwells when all of a sudden they had a crowd and they were coping w/ the fact they didn't have to clap for themselves anymore and their jersey pride. Some of the other notable bootlegs I have somewhere in my archives are: firehose, melvins, mule, superchunk, helmet and ween off the top of my head. Gotta love that rockn roll. Some of these shows are on video to boot. Some other repositories: Music of Elliot smith and etree.org is for tapers who trade cdrs. Somebody hip me to the most recent peer to peer please as the courts duke it out with Mark Gorton of Limewire.

No comments: